There is a growing global movement happening, and you can be a part of it! Every single day, more and more people across the world are taking the time to learn more about how to make their lives, homes and offices just a little bit greener. This includes taking a look at your current plumbing system to see how you can waste less water and use less energy.
Living green means more than the things that most of us associate with it, such as sorting your recyclables or buying reusable grocery bags. It’s about being more conscious of the impact that your everyday actions have on the environment and on the future of our planet. Every little eco-friendly choice you make adds up to a bigger change, and your choices may even inspire others to make similar environmentally friendly changes. If we all take small steps toward greener living, we can make a very big difference. As an AC contractor and 24 hour plumbing service, we love helping our clients do their part to protect and preserve the environment.
One way to make a change is to make some green adjustments to your plumbing system. There are many different steps you can take to do this, most of which are easy to implement with the help of a plumber or AC installer:
- Protect Your Pipes —When your water pipes are not insulated properly, the time that it takes for your water to warm up when you run your faucets can be much longer. When you turn on your hot water tap, that water has to make the journey all the way from your hot water heater to your kitchen or bathroom. When your pipes are not well-insulated, the hot water flowing to your faucet loses a significant amount of heat on its way to you. Consider how many times a day you turn on the hot water in your sinks. That adds up to a lot of lost water and the added amount of energy that your hot water heater needs to expend.
- Go for a Low-Flow— Many new models of more environmentally friendly toilets are now on the market that can make a big difference in the amount of water you use on a daily basis. Regular toilets require more than 3 gallons of water for every single flush. Try one of the new greener options instead.
- High-Efficiency Toilets —These models use only 1½ gallons of water instead of the standard 3 gallons. That’s already cutting your water loss by almost half!
- Dual-Flush Toilets —This model toilet allows you to use either a 1-gallon flush for liquid waste and a 1½-gallon flush for solid waste. Even less water loss!
- Add Some Aerators to Your Faucets —Chances are good that the fixtures and faucets you currently have installed in your bathrooms and kitchen are standard plumbing fixtures. It’s simple to install either low-flow fixtures, or add an aerator to your existing faucets to reduce your water flow. Aerators work by adding air into the water stream when you turn on your faucets, using less water at once but without losing your water pressure.
- Locate and Stop Leaks —This is another simple step that makes a big difference. Any leak, no matter how small in your existing plumbing system adds up to a tremendous waste of water. Along with your plumbing, you may have leaks in your AC unit as well. To fix these, you will want to contact a licensed AC company or AC dealer.
- Faucets and Toilets —Leaks aren’t just from your pipes — you should also check for a toilet that runs or a faucet that drips all the time. These issues can typically be corrected with a quick and easy repair.
- Larger Leaks —One way to keep an eye on the possibility of a larger leak in your overall plumbing system is to know what the general water usage is on your water bill. A surprising jump in water usage can signify a problem that will need to be inspected by a professional. Visibly large leaks will need to be serviced immediately — many plumbing services offer a 24 hour plumber for emergencies.
- Eco-Friendly Efficiency —For a more permanent eco-friendly update, consider having your old hot water heater replaced with a more energy-efficient model. Or try a tankless model, which heats up water as you need it rather than holding it in a reservoir as older models doIf you’re interested in implementing any of these greener alternatives to your conventional plumbing system, contact one of our offices at Christianson Air Conditioning and Plumbing today! In addition to offering 24 hour plumbing services, we are one of the top AC companies and can answer any of your questions to help you get started on your way to a greener lifestyle. If you would like to learn more about our AC installation, AC repair and plumbing services, feel free to contact us today.